Thinking about the security of its users, Yahoo offers multiple security features, which includes Two-step verification, App Password, Yahoo Account Key, Spam Filter, etc. Out of all these, Account Key is one of the valuable safety features to use in your Yahoo account. Enabling Yahoo Account Key will boost your security by sending a prompt to your registered mobile number instead of using a password to access the account. Here in this guide, we have discussed several topics to give you comprehensive details on how to fix issues with Yahoo Account Key. But before discussing the issues, let’s find out the working mechanism of Account key.
When you enable “Account Key” for your Yahoo mail, a push notification will pop-up on your registered mobile number to confirm your appearance. The notification reads – Are you “Are you trying to sign in?” With this message you have to click either “Yes” to allow access or “No” to deny admission.
Solutions to Common Yahoo Account Key Issues –
Utilizing this feature limits the danger of hacking. Below you can find solutions to common issues related to Yahoo Account Key.
Not Receiving an Account Key
If you are not able to receive the Account Key on your registered mobile number then pursue the following steps first:
- Turn on notifications – Always enable notifications in the Yahoo Mail app and from your mobile device.
- Request another notification – Tap on Resend button on the Yahoo page to generate a new notification.
If the above-mentioned steps don’t work for you to go with the steps, as under:
- Open the Yahoo sign-in page.
- Now, type your Yahoo email address and click Next.
- After this, click Use text or email to sign in or Try another way to sign in.
- In the next step, enter the missing digits of your mobile number and then click Submit.
- If you have access to the same mobile number then click on Yes, text me a verification code.
Note: In case, you don’t have access? Don’t panic as you will get the option to verify your alternate email address instead.
- Now, enter verification code to confirm and click Continue to access your account.
Turn Off Account Key
If you don’t comfortable with Account Key feature and want to go back to using a password option then pursue the steps (provided-below) –
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account and go to the Yahoo Account security page.
- By “Yahoo Account Key” option click Manage.
- Now, tap on Disable Account Key located at the bottom of the screen to switch back to a password.
- Optionally, you can also click the toggle to the right of any device you want to turn on or off.
Use Two-Step Verification
Yahoo two-step authentication is a security protocol that involves two different methods together to gain access to your account.
Note: User must note that you can’t use two-step verification with Account Key.
- Sign in to the Yahoo account and click on your Account Icon, presented at the upper right corner and then click on the Account Info link.
- Now, go to the Account security page.
- In the next step, click the Toggle button to turn it on and choose your Country.
- Now, enter your mobile number in the specified field and select either Send SMS or Call me to get a verification code.
- Enter the verification code sent by Yahoo and then click Verify.
- If you access your Yahoo Mail account in third-party apps then click Create app passwords or click Skip for now.
Third-Party Apps Stopped Working
To use some older third-party apps to access your Yahoo Mail Account, you will need to generate an app password to access your email account. Pursue the step-by-step guide to generate third-party app passwords:
- Sign in to your Yahoo account and go to your Account security page.
- Then, click Generate app password or Manage app passwords from the Account security page.
- Now, select your app from the drop down menu and tap Generate.
- Follow the instructions provided-below the password.
- In the next step, click Done.
- Finally, use this third-party app password to access your Yahoo Mail.
Set up a New Phone Number to Receive Account Key
If you wish to change a new phone number but keep using the same phone, purse the instructions:
- Log in to your Account info page and tap your existing number.
- In the next step, click Add recovery phone number.
- Now, enter your new phone number and click Send SMS.
- After this, enter the verification code to confirm.
- And lastly, Click Verify.
Additionally, if you want to want to set up a new phone, below provided steps will defiantly help you out in the situation:
Set up a New Phone –
- Install the Yahoo Mail app on your mobile device.
- Now, open the application and tap Sign in button.
- On the sign-in page, type your Yahoo username and click on the Continue button.
- View the Yahoo notification sent to your old phone.
- After this, on your new phone confirm the code and tap Sign in.